Wednesday, May 5, 2010

When reading this article I kept thinking about a book I read when I was younger, Helga's Dowry: A Troll Love Story by: Tomie dePaola. The book starts off by meeting a 'troll' named Helga. She wants to marry the most handsome troll, but doesn't have a dowry. He goes to a magical troll and asks him what to do. The magical troll tells Lars (handsome troll) to marry his daughter. Lars says that he will marry her, but will also wait for Helga to get a dowry. So Helga works and barters with humans to make a dowry. After she does Lars says that he will marry her, only after finding out how much money she has.

When I was a child and reading this book, I didn't know that something like this really existed. After reading the article I was shocked that women are killed by their husbands & families over their monetarily or material worth. It makes me wonder in societies that practice this... why isn't love enough? Why isn't the loving, supporting, faithful, seductive, woman enough?

But by relating this to our culture, people kill everyday for things that they don't have. Diamond rings, money at banks, possessions etc. I think the similarity ends when the spouse was promised a certain group of things. I guess in many cultures people will kill for what they don’t have.

No comments:

Post a Comment