Monday, May 24, 2010

The Adaptive Value of Religious Ritual

I also used to wonder why people wear head dresses and long cloth outfits when they live in the desert. It's amazing to me the difference in religions around the world and even within the United States. Every religion I can think of worships their God, just in many different ways. For example I got to church on Sunday mornings to praise and worship Jesus Christ and that's just for an hour but other religions will be in church all day Sunday doing kind of the same thing. It's not just like that here, all over the world there are people who practice different religions and some places have a more common one.

Reading further on it reminded me that different religions tell you what you can and cannot eat, and can and cannot drink. I'm a christian, one of the most basic religions around and I don't know how I would react to such strict rules. No coffee or wine? That's nuts. No meat? That's even more crazy! (Not bashing on anyone's religion, I just love meat.)

No comments:

Post a Comment