Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Thoughts on "The Worst Mistake..."

I found one big flaw with the argument that as hunter and gatherers we were better off. At least if they are suggesting that we go back to that practice. If that is the case then I don't think they are accounting for the size of the world's population today. I really don't think, although I haven't done any research on the subject that the whole population could or would survive on just hunting and gathering.

Hunters and gatherers had a limited population so they had enough food. Their balanced diet caused them to have good health compared to the bad health our farming society has now. I think the biggest problem is not the method of procuring food but our individual greed for wanting more of everything. If the article is right in his belief that the reason society changed from hunting and gathering to farming because they were able to get more food for less work then that really sounds like greed to me. Understandable... yes but still an example of greed. So we wanted more food, so we needed more land, more land need more people to work it, so we produce more offspring, we then need more food, so we need more land and on and on it goes. All because we wanted more than what we needed and had. So I maintain that greed is the worst mistake in the history of the human race not evolving methods of food procurement.

No comments:

Post a Comment