Monday, May 3, 2010

When Brothers Share a Wife

When I first started reading this article I thought the women were the ones getting a bum deal, but as I read on it sounded like the younger brothers end up getting the shorter end of the stick. I suppose polyandry is the best bet they have for economic success, at the forfeit of having any sort of sexual relationship or family independent of brother's. Apparently economic success is a sufficient enough reason for sacrificing those things in this culture though.
I read an article once on polygamy from the perspective of several wives who described polygamy as a boon. These particular women were grateful their husbands had other women to occupy their time so as to give them more time to dedicate to their occupations and children. With polyandry the children have multiple father figures, therefore cutting down the "work" (what? raising kids is hard work right?) but the mother not only is popping out kids from multiple men, but she's the only maternal figure they have. It still seems very beneficial for the children though considering their economical future is relatively secure and as far as I'm concerned the more support a family has the merrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment