Monday, May 3, 2010

When Brothers Share a Wife

In this article the author describes a family living in Limi, near Nepal. Dorje, Pema, and Sonam are all brothers ages 15-25. They all live in the same household and share a wife. It discusses how it benefits their culture, possible dislikes of the marriage, and economical benefits of this arrangement. They also discuss land mass & how it benefits inheritance.

I really liked this article! This one was probably one of the first articles that held my attention and that I liked. Although polyandry is not for me, I enjoyed the idea of this arrangement. The picture on page 97 illustrated the main reason this works for them. I am married, and I don't think I would have the heart for this. For me, one man is enough. I don't understand how she can juggle all the needs of these men, but I think it's empowering.

Although this practice isn't part of our culture & people may not like it, I think it's sad that these practices are vanishing. I think it's sad that in the future children may not grow up with this lifestyle. It's been working for them for hundreds of years, and now within a generation it may deteriorate.

No comments:

Post a Comment