Sunday, May 2, 2010

Thoughts on "When Brothers Share A Wife"

The idea of Polyandry (one wife, multiple husbands, the husbands usually being brothers) which seems to be common in Tibet is completely foreign to me. While reading this article I tried to keep an open mind but it just seemed so weird to me. In theory I understand how it is functional for society by not having to break up the inheritance (in this case land and animals) between the brothers and allowing everyone to live under the same roof. Having everyone work for the same goals can be beneficial by having 'many hands make light work'. I can appreciate all of that. What I had trouble with was more of the 'in practice' part of it. Wouldn't the brothers become jealous of each other by having to share a wife? Wouldn't the younger brothers get tired of being overruled by the oldest brother? I understand that someone has to have the final say but wouldn't the younger brother, especially as he gets older, want to make his own decisions? Then there is the question on who gets to pick the wife or does the wife pick the brothers? I guess I just need this article to be longer and go into greater detail.

I was thinking that maybe China would start practicing polyandry because they have a shortage of women. Although the article said that the practice of polyandry might be vanishing by the next generation. Difference is the article said that Tibet doesn't have a shortage of women. So is this China's future?

So the men chose to give up some of their personal freedoms by deciding to share a wife with his older brothers and gain "financial security, affluence, and social prestige". This made me wonder what any of us would be willing to trade to gain those same things, if any? Would we be willing to share a spouse with our siblings or even friends just to live a more comfortable life? Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment