Monday, May 17, 2010
the Kpelle Moot
I think moots should be in place here. It sounds a bit like what we would call an intervention, but it takes place frequently. It sounds like it accepts that spouses will have problems, and instead of expecting them to keep it a secret matter, the community joins in to support the couple in figuring out their problems. I like this because it supports the health of the community. Everyone may know everybody else's business, but that way they all support each other and I doubt any of them feel alone in their problems. The art of forgiving and accepting apologies is also practiced in a way I think needs to be implemented here. In the US court system, apologies are merely a formality, meaning very little to the wronged party. The wronged party wants vengeance, where I feel the Kpelle moot is geared towards healing. The moot also lets the people from both sides see the communities reaction and use their reaction to understand if they are in the wrong or not.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment