Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The adaptive values of religeous ritual

I thought this article to be somewhat interesteing. I have always been mildly intrigued by religeous rituals, it is hard to imagine that poeple of certain religions subject themselve,their offspring, and loved ones to such pain and bodily harm in the name of God. I can understand utter faith and devotion but I think within that faith and devotion they should be able to find it non-benificial to hurt or harm ones self. It doesn't seem to occur to these people that their higer being may see these rituals as unessesary violence and destruction of the temple that is known as the body. Though they may think is a way to become closer to to their god or bring their god closer to them, in the end when all is said and done they may find that none of these horrific self inflicted practices were not needed to get to heaven after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment