Monday, May 3, 2010

When Brothers Share a Wife

I found the concept of polyandry from the Tibetan perspective really interesting, especially the economic implications. This is one of those few articles though that I don't really have a strong opinion or perspective on. I don't have any overlying beliefs about what marriage should be, so alternative marriage situations just tend to intrigue me. For them, the system seems to work well, with relatively few flaws, so I feel like that's the right one for them. If the younger brothers were to express more concern, that might be a different story, but such a longstanding tradition would be difficult to break without changing other social conventions as well. I noticed how divorce was allowed, and not particularly stigmatized, but decidedly difficult from a financial standpoint. Most of all though, I was interested by the influence of non-Tibetan leaders and how their presence may change the tradition. I certainly don't agree that it would be within a generation, but it will be interesting to see how the social structure changes. This article was fairly recent, so I wonder if there has been any subsequent research into how things have changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment