Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Strings
I thought the article was particularly interesting because I think the expectations of gifts even with in our own society is very interesting. We often expect repayment from a gift when given to someone else, or there is at least a feeling of indebtedness that comes with recieving a gift. For example, when someone gives me a birthday present I feel its necessary that when their birthday comes around, I have to get them something as well. While it seems insulting to me that certain cultures would diminish a gift or humiliate I can also see the cultural importance of doing so. The same goes for gift giving as a form of an insult. They all make sense in the culture of the community and I thought the article was interesting insight into these practices.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment