Thursday, April 29, 2010
Strange Country This.
The article was very interesting to me, I have read about similar experiences in other cultures, the Samoans have their fafafimes, and the Filipinos have their baclat and tomcats... I found it particularly interesting that the women also held a role in the tribe. I liked the role reversal of the men staying home with the children and chores, and the females out hunting and gathering. We, in our Western culture, have grown accustomed to labeling people based on sexual preference, skin color, even the little things, like what kind of car they drive, or what color their shoes are. In other parts of the world, the term "gay" is unknown, in Samoa, the fafafimes are not considered gay, they are just women by their standards. I can't wait till we catch on.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
This article also reminded me of the video about the fa fa'fines. I found it very interesting that there were fourth genders in these societies, and it is nice that women were represented in this fourth role. I wonder if the lack of much evidence concerning their sexual life is due to the european's aversion to such lifestyles.
ReplyDelete