Friday, April 23, 2010

The truth or a joke?

I liked the idea that joking is a historic event and could “date” us. Both of my parents are a part of the “baby boomers” generation. After being taught their joking style, I have found myself a little out of the loop when making jokes.

As I was reading the article a section made me think of a judgmental moment I had. From the reading: “Joking can be purposefully or unintentionally insulting to individuals or groups. “Just joking” is not always enough to disassociate intentions from affronts. “I heard once that 80% of joking comes from a place of truth. When I heard that I was a little surprised-- I have a lot of sarcastic friends. When they tell a joke about me, I wonder if that’s what they’re truly feeling about me. On a few occasions I have taken what they’ve said to heart, and gotten pretty upset, even though it was “just a joke”. At the end of the day, and always, I try to shrug it off & realized that joking is whatever a persons’ interpretation is. I liked the way they called my scenario the “referential afterlife”.

I liked that they used the Minnesota Mycological Society (the Purple Clitocybe group). I am from Minnesota, and it always makes me feel good when I see something from there.

No comments:

Post a Comment