This article summarizes an idea that men (specifically) have just the same gossip abilities that women do. It touches on what masculinity is to men, how they express what isn't masculine, and what communication for this group sounds like.
On page 7 it touches on an idea that men use conversation similar to the exchange in tennis. Points are scored based on speech and more specifically on put-downs. She talks about how men rack up the points based on talking about outsiders. For example, as the negative speech of others progresses, so does the speakers' ego.
I also wanted to talk about a statement that was made in the article, “Being ‘gay’ means failing to measure up to the group’s standards of masculinity or femininity.” I really liked this because it really changed how I feel. It’s made me question what qualities men & women find attractive. Are women who have more masculine traits unattractive to males? Is a more masculine female more likely to be assumed a homosexual? How do we learn what is too feminine or too masculine? I know in the article it touched on the idea that what isn’t our gender is the opposing gender, but I have to express another opinion. Our culture shapes what we view is masculine/feminine, our upbringing in our family unit, what role models we aspire to be, our lifestyle. I think these are what teaches us and from there we judge on what we learned.
Tuesday, April 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment