I really enjoyed the idea of using Disney movies to help a child heal faster or to help distract them from a difficult task. I do think it's a great thing to help medical personnel bridge the gap between them and their patients. I also think it's a good tool to help parents communicate more efficiently with their children. But, if a Doctor started explaining an idea to me using Disney or fictional characters I would be confused & wonder what their thought process was. I believe children can best identify with these characters to help understand challenge, pain, death etc etc. But as adults, in my opinion, I'm not sure it works. I believe that as adults we want to understand a complex situation in the most clear & concise way possible. For most, I don't think this involves using fictional characters.
As far as the health care concerned, what can I say, but that Doctors, Nurses, Medics, and EMT's are all HUMAN. They have their personal morals, values, and opinions just like the rest of us humans. They were brought up in a cultured society! To believe that they don't make assumptions, feel emotion, and make opinions about people (whether right or wrong) is ignorant. They're not gods. They're only human beings, just like the rest of us. I'm not saying that these assumptions that are mentioned in the article (African American men wanting pain medications) are correct. I just keep in mind that they make mistakes just like the rest of us. My hope is that they try everyday to do the best job that they can, and that's all we can ask of them.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment