While reading Tricking and Tripping by Claire E. Sterk, I came to realise that just like any other culture, prostitution is one of a group. "We turn tricks who have sex-for-pay."- Piper The way Piper makes a point of what they do in her poem shows that what they do is who they are, it's their way of life, their culture. When Piper says, "We make money for pimps who promise us love and more, but if we don't produce, they shove us out the door." - Piper, she never once just says "I". Everything about what she does makes her a part of the group of prostitutes and with that she is accepted.
I once watched a television show where a girl went under cover as a protitute to study how it works, what they do, and who or what you'll see on a daily basis. She ended up getting sucked into that culture and couldn't find it in herself to get back out. I think that Claire studying they girls the way she did was risky for her own safety but definately the smartest way to go about her studies.
This was quite interesting to read and see what those girls go through and how they deal. I have never thought or realised that culture is found in so many different places until now.
Monday, April 12, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment