I really found this article interesting. Growing up with mostly guys but hanging around a lot of girls at school I have noticed a lot of inconsistencies going back and forth between the two groups.
When the article brought up Men's Speech the whole joking around thing is very real to me. When I hang around a group of guys they all give each other a hard time. My dad and his friends really know how to dish it out (they also know how to take it to be fair). Since I grew up with it, it never seemed weird or out of place for me but I really noticed that there was a difference when I would bring some friends home from school. When my dad gave them a hard time, those who didn't hang around a lot of guys thought my dad didn't like them or something. Really quite interesting. When really that was his way of showing he liked them. If he didn't he wouldn't bother.
I have also found that women talk to share or express feelings and experiences with the intent to build a connection where as men talk in a more action-oriented way or to problem solve. One could see why this could pose some problems.
Lastly when I was sharing some of the key points of this article with a friend she was really surprised at how accurate the "positive minimal responses" are when girls are talking to other girls, guys talking to guys and the problems that arise when girls talk to guys. She didn't realize that she did the nodding and mmm hmm'ing until I pointed it out. Also she brought up the "Is he listening to me?" that I think all females have said at least once before.
I would be really interested in doing further research on this subject.
Monday, April 19, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment