I really enjoyed the article about Apache/Navajo notion on silence. It was interesting to me that in most cases silence is an appropriate behavior. The part that was my "AH HA" moment was when they spoke about "meeting strangers". The last sentence on page 29 felt so real to me. "Strangers who are quick to launch into conversation are frequently eyed with undisguised suspicion..." If someone comes up to me & starts chatting, I immediately wonder what their motives are. Sometimes I wonder if I look safe/trustworthy to people. I know more than ever that we're a sharing society. It seems as though, through twitter, facebook, and myspace, people cannot divulge enough. I like that they treasure silence.
The title seems a little off to me though. Although they're choosing to not speak that doesn't mean that they're exhausted with choosing language. I think it's just a choice when to communicate verbally.
Wednesday, April 14, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment