Wednesday, April 7, 2010
I thouroughly enjoyed Pocahontas Goes To The Clinic. This article shows how clinicians make a concerted effort to identify with children on a common level. This article allows children to be in a familiar environment and to build rapport with the clinicians who are virtually strangers. The familiarity of showing such films allows the child to feel comfort in a less comfortable environment. I feel that doctors and people who work in the medical field should also figure ways of communicating and building repport with people who are in lower social classes such as single African American parents whom experience profiling due to their ethnic background. While this process may not be instant, it would be a comfort to someone such as myself who had grown up with a single parent in a lower class life style. I had witnessed my mother struggle with the affects of profiling as a single Black mother with a low income. I feel that the present generation of children are getting treated with better equality than I had experienced as a child. It would have been good if Pocahontas or maybe even Fat Albert were used by clinicians as I waited for my medical attention.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment