This article was interesting with the comparisons of the different ways different cultures care for their children. I learned a couple of things I wasn't aware of before, such as babies' crying (amount, not necessarily duration) peaks at about three months. I found this interesting simply because my sister is visiting with her almost 3 month old and she commented on an increase in his crying lately, though she attributes it to specific reasons instead of a generalization on his age.
The ethnocentrism discussed on pages 6-7 of how some individuals think there is a right or wrong "model" to raise a child slightly irritated me. It was great that the author specified that some mothers don't find certain practices mother's in other cultures use relevant, but to think a mother is neglectful or abusive because they don't raise their child the same way seems rather self-righteous. For example, spanking can be considered an appropriate method of discipline in some families (within legal boundaries, of course) but borderline abuse in others. My parents spanked me and my sisters while we were growing up and I think for our family during that time and the age range that it was used, it was an appropriate way for us to learn right from wrong.
This article made me remember that I need to try and be more objective when judging other people's view on raising children. Just because my parents made me go to bed at six pm until I was twelve doesn't mean that it made me a better person (and in all honesty it probably didn't) and that others should enforce that rule on their kids.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment