I think housekeeping is hard work and deserves more respect. I know it is not something I enjoy doing. I certainly don't do it for fun. I think the author made a good point about Siryani's employers would probably not have white carpet and three dogs if they had to do all the cleaning.
It is appalling to me how some people will treat others when they know they will not be held accountable for their actions. What happened to common decency? Does that even exist? I think the problem is we don't have respect for others;maybe we do for those who we consider 'above' us, but usually not for those considered 'below' us. I think that is what marks the character of a person. How they treat those who are lesser off then themselves.
I really feel for the migrant workers. They work so their families back home will have a better life, even if that means doing the 'dirty work' and getting mistreated. Imagine having to leave your family and knowing that things won't be the same when you return. That you may grow apart from your spouse or even your children will think you don't love them anymore, when they are who you are working for.
There are good examples out there though. I am reminded of my grandmother. She had to hire a housekeeper to come in and clean once a week, when she wasn't able to do the work herself anymore. She would always clean the house though, before the housekeeper would get there. She would also make lunch and serve tea for the two of them and they would spend an hour or so talking about their families. Over the months they became really good friends. To clarify after reading this article though, the housekeeper was always paid adequately, regularly and on time. I think my grandma's story is different than those in the article because she respected the housekeeper. She was grateful. The housekeeper allowed her and my grandpa to keep on living on their own. That housekeeper helped my grandmother out so much and more importantly my grandmother recognized this.
Monday, June 7, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment